Iowa Young Birders promotes engagement with our natural world and conservation issues by empowering young Iowans to study and enjoy birds and birding.
In carrying out our Mission, Iowa Young Birders…
- Builds young people’s knowledge and skills across the curriculum through dynamic and interactive birding-based educational programs, activities, and events.
- Fosters an interest in birding among young people in Iowa.
- Offers a safe and fun community for young birders in Iowa.
- Furthers awareness of conservation issues affecting Iowa birds, and the preservation of ecosystems conducive to bird conservation.
- Cultivates young peoples’ interest in career options related to birds and conservation and provides positive role models.
- Builds partnerships with other nature and birding groups in Iowa and the U.S., thereby strengthening our collective web of support.
- Develops and shares best practices in birding education and experiences.
Iowa Young Birders is a pioneer and national leader in the development and application of best practices for encouraging and educating young birders to become conservation leaders and to enjoy a lifetime of birding.
- Respect – We believe that all people should be treated with consideration and dignity. We cherish diversity.
- Caring – We are committed to serving with empathy and compassion. We believe that young people are capable of great things and we stand ready to encourage critical thinking, leadership, and lifelong learning.
- Teamwork – We are committed to effective partnerships between volunteers and staff, and we seek opportunities to form alliances with others.
- Integrity – We are committed to ethical and socially responsible practices and we will strive to continually improve our organization and programs.